Moodle Association of Japan Discussion Forum

Teaching in the Digital Age - Japanese Version

Teaching in the Digital Age - Japanese Version

by Doug STRABLE -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, 

During my MA studies in Learning and Technology I was introduced to Dr. Tony Bates who one of the pioneers of planning and management of e-learning and distance education. Recently Dr. Bates published a a free, open online textbook for faculty and instructors, called Teaching in a Digital Age.  The book has been downloaded over 32,000 times and has been or is being translated into seven languages. Unfortunately, not yet in Japanese. I've taken on the project to create a Japanese version, with Dr. Bates approval,  and looking for people willing to help translate a chapter to two. The book is on a creative commons license which means the text can be translated and distributed freely at no charge. 

With many institutes in Japan still struggling with designing online courses by simply transferring their face-to-face lectures online, I feel a Japanese version of this book with provide a good summary of the principles of designing online courses for students as Japan moves forward in attracting more students. Ideally, the book could be used as a textbook. 

I will be attending the Moodle Moot 2018 conference and if you or you know a instructor interested in learning more about learning and technology who could help, please let me know on this forum or through email dstrable (at) gol.com.  No doubt the project will helpful to compare ideas of course design in online learning. We quite a lot of information about the technical aspects of designing courses in Moodle but not a lot of information about how to design the course specifically for online work through a LMS. 

Here is the free, Opentext book: Teaching in the Digital Age

"The book examines the underlying principles that guide effective teaching in an age when all of us, and in particular the students we are teaching, are using technology. The book enables teachers and instructors to help students develop the knowledge and skills they will need in a digital age: not so much the IT skills, but the thinking and attitudes to learning that will bring them success. The book is continuously updated. 

I hope you feel this book will be valuable to others, especially Japanese speakers, here in Japan and can help me produce the Japanese version. 

Thanks, 

Doug Strable / Tokyo