Moodle Association of Japan Discussion Forum

log analytics

log analytics

by Nobuhiro KUMAI -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Moodlers,

I haven't used log analytics much so far, but I would like to get data and analyze how often students have accessed our Moodle site and how much work they have done, etc.. I know normal Moodle system can handle some of the work, but it seems to me that it's a bit limited in its ability. I'd like especially to get graphs showing how often students have accessed the site not only for the period Moodle usually shows us, but also for a whole year or more. I'm wondering if anyone has used plug-ins or something that makes it possible.

Thanks in advance.
All the best,
Nobuhiro Kumai

In reply to Nobuhiro KUMAI

Re: log analytics

by Jason HOLLOWELL -
Kumai Sensei,

Long time no contact! smile How are things with you?

A couple of ideas that might be helpful are:

1. Matomo - https://matomo.org :
I recently setup a Matomo server, with some key help from Adam, to monitor activity on our university Moodle site. The details are very helpful. It includes various graphics that can be used for reporting statistics on how the site is being used.

2. From a course level, I also really like the Moodle Course Dedication Block : https://moodle.org/plugins/block_dedication
It provides some useful information about each student's access within an individual course.

Those are just two that popped into my mind when I saw your message here.

I'm guessing others might have additional ideas.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Regards

Jason
In reply to Jason HOLLOWELL

by Nobuhiro KUMAI -
Hello Jason,

Right. It's been quite a while. Glad to know you are doing well.
And many thanks for your useful information. I'm going to look into it.

Since we are now approaching the end of the academic year, I need to know how and how much students have been interacting with the activities on Moodle during the year, hopefully in graphs, etc. The log graph that Moodle usually gives us regarding each participant seems to be limited, like for the most recent 150 days or something, I presume.

Thanks again and keep warm and safe.

All the best,
Nobuhiro
In reply to Nobuhiro KUMAI

by Hideto HARASHIMA -

Hello Kumai-sensei,

You may want to check out the article "Introduction to Learning Analytics with Moodle" written by Thoms Rawson, Yoshikazu Asada, and me. It is in the latest proceedings of Moodle Association of Japan and available online.

We will be giving a follow-up presentation in the coming MoodleMoot Okinawa next February. Please join us if you are interested.

In reply to Hideto HARASHIMA

by Nobuhiro KUMAI -
Harashima sensei,

Many thanks for your information regarding Moodle Analytics. It's just what I've wanted.
Your prospective presentation looks interesting, too. I'm definitely going to have a look.
Thanks again.

Best regards,
Kumai