Moodle Association of Japan Discussion Forum

MAJ Courseware Showcase

MAJ Courseware Showcase

by Betsy Lavolette -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, I am new here, so please forgive me if these questions have already been answered.

I am thinking of uploading a course to the MAJ Courseware Showcase.

1. If I upload a course, what is the copyright situation? 
  2. Can others download and use my course without crediting me? 
  3. Will my course be considered for an award if I am not a member?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

In reply to Betsy Lavolette

Re: MAJ Courseware Showcase

by Martin MEADOWS -
Hi Betsy,
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability and others may add to my replies or correct them.

1. Courses are freely downloadable by anyone who has an account on this MAJ site. You should be able to stipulate how you allow your course to be used when you upload, but I don't think we can make a course non-downloadable. The idea, of course, is that they are "open" courses. As for particular content, I would suggest that if you have concerns about copyrighted material, then remove those items of concern from your course before uploading. You could then just add an explanatory label with guidance for the downloader to (re)create her own material there.
2. Again, you can ask that you be duly credited by users of your course and make that a condition of use. I think this is a trust issue. AFAIK, we don't really have any way of confirming whether the downloader has duly credited you or not. I believe that we now (or soon will) have a tool for determining how many times a course has been downloaded, although I don't know if we will be able to tell which has user has downloaded your course. That might be a good idea for future improvements to the site. I think it would be nice if we could implement a way by which course contributors are automatically notified when someone downloads their course, and that notification indicates the username of the downloader. (although there could be some privacy concerns here ...)
3. Personally, I think that all course contributors should be considered for an award regardless of whether they are MAJ members or not. Others may think differently, but as one of the organizing members of this year's Open Courseware Awards, I will lobby for your inclusion in the awards "contest" if you decide to upload a course.

by Don HINKELMAN -
Hi Betsy,
Great to hear you are thinking of contributing a course. The Showcase is especially looking for Open Educational Resources (OER), so only upload the materials you want to share freely (Creative Commons license--Share and Share-alike). I agree with Martin's comments and just to restate them:
1. The license is Creative Commons--Share and Share-alike. This means you share it freely and you donate the materials. It also means that if a commercial company uses it, they share it freely, without charge.
2. Anyone can download it. We trust they will credit you, and I recommend that you put your email address at the top of the course, and specifically ask people who download it, to credit you and to contact you to explain how they used it. You might even create a collaboration.
3. We want coursese useful for Japan. We hope you become a member, but even if you are not, your course will be judged and considered for an award. You will get specific feedback from the judges, placed in the the reviews of your course.

by Betsy Lavolette -
Thank you, Martin and Don, for this information. I will work on getting my submission ready!
And I will consider joining MAJ as well. I will have to explore the benefits. Anyone want to give me a pitch?

by Ruth VANBAELEN -

Betsy,

The Moodlers are a great group, and if you need help with building courses whatsoever, there will always be a helping hand. My uni does not do Moodle, unfortunately, but I stay involved!

And thanks again for your keynote in December!
Ruth

In reply to Ruth VANBAELEN

by Betsy Lavolette -
Hi, Ruth! Nice to see a familiar face here. My university is upgrading its Moodle version (leapfrogging, is more like it), so I may need some help from this group indeed!