Moodle Association of Japan Discussion Forum

Cell phone email addresses

Cell phone email addresses

by David CAMPBELL -
Number of replies: 8

I seem to be getting  a lot messages bounce back from students who use their cell phone email addresses. It happens with all three carriers. The ones that bounce back often have a period in the first part of the address. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there any work around?

In reply to David CAMPBELL

Re: Cell phone email addresses

by Thomas ROBB -

It could be that they have their email addresses blocked so that only mail from people in their contact list can be accepted.  Can you post a copy of the bounced message?  That would show at which point in the transmission the mail was rejected.  

--Tom

by Thom RAWSON -
David, we have the same issue here. Basically the only way I could minimize this was to require students to register with a web mail address - the university campus-assigned mail. Of course students still set up mail forwarding because they live exclusively with their mobile. But at least they would get a copy of any correspondence.

by David CAMPBELL -

This is one that was supposed to go to a softbank account

<sh.n-a1225@i.softbank.co.jp>: Host or domain name not found. Name service
   error for name=i.softbank.co.jp type=A: Host not found
Reporting-MTA: dns; oumail.obihiro.ac.jp
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 36280B00036
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; campbell@obihiro.ac.jp
Arrival-Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:24:04 +0900 (JST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; sh.n-a1225@i.softbank.co.jp
Original-Recipient: rfc822;sh.n-a1225@i.softbank.co.jp
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Host or domain name not found. Name service error
   for name=i.softbank.co.jp type=A: Host not found

And this one is docomo

<abc.singi@docomo.ne.jp>: host mfsmax.docomo.ne.jp[203.138.181.112] said: 550
   Unknown user abc.singi@docomo.ne.jp (in reply to end of DATA command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; oumail.obihiro.ac.jp
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 1623CB00053
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; campbell@obihiro.ac.jp
Arrival-Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:09:57 +0900 (JST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; abc.singi@docomo.ne.jp
Original-Recipient: rfc822;abc.singi@docomo.ne.jp
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mfsmax.docomo.ne.jp
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Unknown user abc.singi@docomo.ne.jp

The one thing they thing they seem to have in common is the period in the first part of the address.

by Thomas ROBB -

The softbank one is supposed to be: i.softbank.jp with no ".co".  One would think, however, that softbank would have the wherewithall to forward mail from the other domain, which they surely must own and control.

You could do a mass "search and replace" in sql to fix the wrong ones if there are a lot of them.  Something like

update mdl_user set email = concat(left(email,len(email)-5),".jp") where email like "%bank.co.jp"  (Try it on a specific email address before generalizing it to "%bank.co.jp" to make sure it has the desired effect!

--Tom

In reply to Thomas ROBB

by David CAMPBELL -

Thanks Tom,

When I checked the Softbank site I though it was co. Luckily, there aren't too many so I can have them upadate themselves.

by Hiroyuki HARADA -

Hello Campbell sensei,

The first bounce e-mail said (softbank) "Host or domain name not found".
Softbank iPhone has two kind of e-mail.
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone/service/mail/
1) example@softbank.ne.jp  --- MMS
2) example@i.softbank.jp --- iPhone only
I guess your student had some confuse as  "i.softbank.co.jp".

The second bounce e-mail said "Unknown user", it may have some reason.
A) Your student typed wrong e-mail address.
But in this case, you get bounce e-mail that include "in reply to RCPT TO command".
Your bounce e-mail is not like this, so you can expect this reason.

B) Your student e-mail address is correct, But your student does not allow to get e-mail from you.
C)  Your student does not allow to get spoofed (なりすまし)e-mail address, or URL included e-mail.
In this case, you get bounce e-mail that include "in reply to end of DATA command".
--> I recommend to ask your student to add your University's e-mail domain (obihiro.ac.jp) on their White list.

Any single period (dot) in the first part of address does not make problem, except example as below;
xxxx.@xxxxxx   There is a dot just in front of @.
xx..xx@xxxxxx  There are consecutive dot.
This kind of e-mail are not RFC compatible (it mean address is not follow the rule), but Japanese Keitai carrer was accepted in their own network, then they connected to the internet, problem has happen.
I guess your e-mail server is using Postfix, it can send e-mail to this kind of e-mail address.
But some e-mail server system can not, i.e. Microsoft Outlook. 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940620

In reply to Hiroyuki HARADA

by David CAMPBELL -

Harada-san,

Thank you for the information. I also found a site that mentioned the docomo phones also have setting to block mail from PCs. I asked student who uses docomo and she was able to find the setting on her phone, but it took her awhile. At least now I know how to get them started on looking for the problem. 

by Hideto HARASHIMA -

David, we have the same problem here. Students often change their keitai mail addresses because of spam mails. They set up mail-forwarding from school mail server right after they enter school, but they forget to reset the forwarding to their new keitai addresses, and the forwarding gets lost and bounced back. We have to tell them to update their forwarding setting. mixed