Promoting Online Learning

Promoting Online Learning

by Kevin RYAN -
Number of replies: 54

In the wake of all the closings, there is an increased interest from many people to learn about online learning. 

It would be great to have a place to send them to for Moodle and other online teaching resources. That is being done in a lot of different places. I was just wondering whether anything like that was happening here. 

Oh, and Thanks to all the organizers of the MOOT, the online conference was much much better than I expected. 

In reply to Kevin RYAN

Re: Promoting Online Learning

by Doug STRABLE -

Hello Kevin, 

I agree it would be great to have a resource of online teaching materials. I think that may be a part of MoodleNet which is "coming soon", but not yet ready.  

MoodleNet sounds awesome and it looks like it will help teachers solve problems like this.  https://moodle.com/moodlenet/

I also enjoyed the online sessions of MoodleMoot and look forward to having a mixture of online and in-person presentations in the future too. 

Doug 

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Don HINKELMAN -
Hi Kevin and Doug,
Thanks so much for joining the online Moot sessions and sharing your suggestions here. I agree that Moodle has a lot to give to help education during this new virus crisis. And this is a step to help us understand how online learning can happen in real-time video conferencing or in recorded forums, quizzes and sessions. Please feel free to view again and try courses at these links:
Also looking forward to the new MoodleNet opening soon.
In reply to Don HINKELMAN

by Doug STRABLE -

Hello Don, 

That's right, the Moodle Association of Japan does have a course sharing site similar to MoodleNet (Open Courseware) for others to use and enhance. Thank you for the link. I will take a look as well.  

In reply to Doug STRABLE

Summary, and where to go from here?

by Jennifer CLARO -
March 6 2020

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to everyone's contributions yesterday. So much positive energy needs to be converted into usable objects now.

There are several discussions going on about various aspects of what we are trying to do. I tried to gather the main threads and post one short note for each as a reply to this main post (see just below), simply to avoid one long note.

Topics: 
Providers
Templates for teachers, including the one Justin will make one-clickable
Demo website
Videos for teachers on how to use Moodle
How to get in touch with teachers/admin/schools/universities
Articles to be written for online newspapers
Reaching out via social media: Make a FaceBook page? Twitter etc.
Other

As a means of harvesting energy and actual production, I suggest that people start thinking about how they can contribute. We need to make a list of what exactly we think needs to be done and who will do it, like the Moodle moot organizers did. Make teams, list tasks, we claim tasks we can do, and get started doing them.

Tomoya Saito said yesterday "If you can truly realize the teaching materials and services that you are discussing now, I think they will be posted." 

We can truly realize this. Let's see what we can get done today.

Goal 1: Self-organize teams, each dedicated to a specific topic above, and new ones as they arise.
In reply to Jennifer CLARO

Re: Summary, and where to go from here?

by Jennifer CLARO -
PROVIDERS

Summary: We have: 2 providers, each offering something a little different:

1. Amazon Web Services (AWS): Offered for the duration of the self-restraint period of face-to-face education (about one month?).
Remote classes with Moodle, online events (such as the delivery of entrance ceremonies) and the use of Chime, our web conference tool.

Justin says: Poodll can set up a (free) MAJ Moodle image in the AWS marketplace that user's can then use one-click install to get a running Moodle in just a few minutes.
Question: Can AWS provide these services for higher education (universities) only or for schools as well?

2. Moodle Premier Partner company "eLearning." His company is willing to offer 30-50 free ready-to-go Moodle instances to secondary schools in Hokkaido.

If Justin makes a template and makes it a one-click install, and AWS will provide space and credits for all schools and universities that want to use it, until the virus alert is over (and students go back to school) then the problems of space and delivery will be at least partially solved. But teachers/admin will need a lot of help designing their online courses. It is not just how to use Moodle that they have to deal with but the pedagogy and structuring of an online course.

What questions do we need to ask providers?
1. Can these 2 providers provide services to all levels of schools and universities?
Are there any drawbacks to either of these offers that we have to consider?
2. What about Moodle Cloud?

by Justin HUNT -

So I set up an Amazon Machine Image  (AMI) last night. It is PHP 7.3 and Moodle 3.8.1

I went through and set up the Moodle site ie ran the installation and installed Moodle in DB and set admin user and password.

You have to do that to make sure that you have installed all the bits and pieces that you need.

I am not sure if we want to deploy this image like that though. I think we should leave it ready to install as soon as user deploys the image. 

So at that point they would run a command line script or just hit the install page of their site, and enter their Moodle URL , admin user and password and arrive at a totally blank default Moodle site (albeit with a select few plugins installed)

They would then need to get a domain name set up and pointing to their server, run a script on the server to generate an SSL certificate for it and make sure their config file contains that updated info. So whoever uses this image will need to be a server admin of some level. 

The other way would be to make a script that sets them up with a default set of all that, but that they change later. In the server image that I set up that would look like this:

http://ec2-54-199-197-57.ap-northeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com/moodle

At least then they'd be up and running ...

by Jennifer CLARO -
DEMO WEBSITE:

Can we use something that has already been created, and adapt it?
Who knows the contents of our Courseware well enough to select a course to adapt? We need links to one or more possible courses to adapt.
Or should we start from scratch?
Who wants to work on the demo website?

by Jennifer CLARO -
VIDEOS OF HOW TO USE MOODLE

There is a list of 7 videos (see link below) in Japanese about how to do some basic set-up of a Moodle course. But there must be more than this available? We need detailed tutorial videos in Japanese for how to use Moodle, or at least English videos with Japanese subtitles.

There are Moodle videos in English (see below) made by Moodle.learn.net but they have only automatically-generated Japanese subtitles. Should we try to provide accurate Japanese subtitles that Moodle has already made? Does anyone have a connection with Moodle.learn.net? If we can provide the translations, they just have to add them to the videos. (Sorry, I have not done this before. How does adding translations work?)

Moodle videos in English

by Jennifer CLARO -
MENTORS

Mentors can help with direct assistance to teachers using Moodle for the first time. Workshops have been suggested. It might be good to have mentors assigned to their prefectures? We can list our prefecture, skills, and levels of spoken and written Japanese language.

Example: Jennifer Claro, Hokkaido (Kitami): I can help set up a course but only at a basic level. Also, we use Moodle 2.6.11 so I am behind. My spoken Japanese is so-so and I need my son for written Japanese. Pathetic. Actually, I would not be a good mentor as I have so few skills. Hmm. I do know something about online pedagogy.

by Doug STRABLE -

Hello Jennifer and Don, 

The requirements T. Saito listed on the Ministry website do indeed give us a clear focus for the project - the Ministry and teachers are looking for ready-made EdTech items that helps students learn. Before breaking into teams could we decide which sample course materials we have listed in the Courseware Showcase are most useful teaching materials for students and teachers (from experience)   https://showcase.moodlejapan.org/

Perhaps we can have about three or four different "courses" listed on one Moodle site for  JHS, HS, University....

If we decide on the course templates today and by Monday finalize this, will only take a few days to get the site arranged.  

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
Thanks Doug, this creates new fresh goals for us:

1. Today: Choose course templates OR Make at least one new basic one if the ones we have already are not easily adaptable.

2. By Sunday: Volunteers (us) adapt websites and design them for use by teachers in:
JHS: Junior high schools/middle schools
HS: High schools
HE: Higher Education/Universities

Questions:
How many of each should we try to provide? How many in total?
Should the courseware/templates be in Japanese?

3. Get the site ready by ___ (date).

Please post suggestions below.

Does anyone know our courseware well? Perhaps some links could be posted by those who know it well?
Alternatively, we can individually check out a few ourselves and report back here if we find a useful one.
What exactly are we looking for?
And again, shouldn't the courses we post in the website be in Japanese?
In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
Sorry, I think I got too excited and posted too much.
You MAJ members have more than enough expertise and enthusiasm to get this done.
I am withdrawing to the sidelines to let MAJ self-organization take over.
You organized the online moot in 3 days.
I'm sure you'll do an excellent job with this too.

Bye for now,
Jennifer

P.S. - Yesterday was wonderful. I haven't been in a swirl of creative activity and enthusiasm like that in quite a while.

by Justin HUNT -

The MAJ Moodle 3.8.1 AMI image is ready.

What is that?

It means you can set up a Moodle server (EC2) in your own Amazon AWS account, by cloning off a ready made image.

Thats good because Chikamori san said earlier in this thread that AWS is prepared to give AWS credits to schools dealing with the shutdown from covid-19. And it will also fit on the smaller servers of the AWS free tier (though you might want to use a more powerful server ). You have access to the free tier when you first sign up for AWS.

Its also good because you do not need to install node or php or mysql or Moodle. Thats all done for you. Moodle was installed with git so you will be able to update Moodle via Git as new versions come up. It contains only one plugin, adminer, which is a tool for administering the Moodle database. But you can install from the Moodle plugins directory as normal.

This is a video walkthrough of getting set up with the image

And the PDF of the slides used in that video are attached.

In reply to Kevin RYAN

by Jennifer CLARO -

A Japan Times article from yesterday titled "Coronavirus prompts Japan to reconsider long-hours office culture" says that many companies are now trying to implement work-from-home/remote work for their employees. Universities may be willing to try too, especially those of us in locations who are being hard hit by the virus, as we are in Hokkaido. I worry about how many parents will allow their 18-year-old sons and daughters to come to Hokkaido in April.

There may be some universities, high schools etc. who would be willing to try Moodle and have classes remotely, but we would need to present Moodle and the ideas of online classes somehow. I guess a presentation would be best, but a website with information in Japanese and English and/or a pdf would also be helpful. I will talk with colleagues at my uni and see what they think. What do you think?

Should we try to put something together with the goal of helping Japanese universities and schools to learn more about Moodle and consider using it in April? I'm willing to help with this. How did the Moot organizers get organized? Shall we self-organize a group to work on this? Anyone interested?

Coronavirus prompts Japan to reconsider long-hours office culture 」と題した昨日の Japan Times の記事は、多くの企業が従業員のために在宅勤務/遠隔勤務を実施しようとしています。特に北海道にいるような、ウイルスにひどく打撃を受けている場所にある私たちの大学も試してみる気があります。 18歳の息子と娘が4月に北海道に来ることを許可する親の数が少なくなるのかと、心配です。

いくつかの大学、高校など、Moodleを試して遠隔授業を受けたいと思う人もいるかもしれませんが、Moodleとオンラインクラスのアイデアを何らかの形で提示する必要があると思います。プレゼンテーションが最適でしょうが、日本語と英語の情報やPDFを含むWebサイトも役立つと思います。私は、自分の大学での同僚と話をして、彼らがどう思うか確かめてみます。どう思いますか?

日本の大学や学校がMoodleについてさらに学び、4月に使用することを検討するのを支援する目的で、何かをまとめることを試みるべきだと思いますか?私は喜んで参加します。 Mootの主催者はどのように組織されましたか?これに取り組むためにグループを自ら組織しますか?誰か興味を持ってらっしゃる方いますか?

by Rob BRIGHT -
I agree with this and would love to help out - especially with JHS and HS and their approach to using Moodle.

by Doug STRABLE -

Hello Jennifer, 

I've seen the requests as well for teachers seeking information and would love to help out this idea as well. The easiest and quickest way is to put up a free account MoodleCloud website but the plugins are restricted.  We can probably have someone from MAJ create some space on the MAJ server or ?  We can use some of the sample sites that are already created on the link Don sent too and get this going in a few days. 

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Don HINKELMAN -
I think Doug's suggestion is the way most teachers or schools get started with Moodle. It is bottom up innovation happening when one teacher decides to use Moodle for a class in their school. Moodle Cloud is the best first choice because it is free and allows up to 50 students. Then that teacher needs a local mentor to guide the setup and answer questions. Of course this forum is possible, but help from a colleague is more immediate and friendly. In Hokkaido, we have the MAJ Hokkaido Chapter group led by Bob Gettings to support anyone here. Perhaps you could help other schools, other teachers you know in Hokkaido and be a mentor to them. Then when that teacher outgrows Moodle Cloud (to get a greater variety of plugins) or the whole school decides to use it, we can help them get a server and set up their own cloud.  [Announcement:  Hokkaido Summer Moodle Workshop on August 31-September 1]

by Rob BRIGHT -
With regards to the MAJ Tokyo chapter, the last meeting was back in 2015 I think and since then, it's gone dark really on that front. I've kept in contact with a couple of people but it would be great to have something to promote Moodle for the masses so to speak.

Having a mentor scheme, something that Martin talked about in Keynote speech, is core to helping promote Moodle and helping others with its learning curve, while also with a pedagogical approach to encouraging teachers to create content that supports, and fosters, learning.
In reply to Rob BRIGHT

by Jennifer CLARO -
The mentor scheme sounds excellent. We could volunteer to help schools in our own areas to:
1) get access to this information we are creating
2) get started using Moodle

We could have mentors in many areas in Japan. If you are in xx place, contact yy person. We would need many Moodle Mentors for this.

Problem: I am a user, not a tech person. There may be others like me. Maybe we need a list of who can do what.

by Doug STRABLE -

Hello Don, 

My understanding is that Jennifer's suggestion is to put up a demo site to show how Moodle works before creating their own site, like the Moodle HQ site but in Japanese https://moodle.org/demo/ . 

As you mention MoodleCloud is a great way to get started but I feel we need to guide the teachers a bit online first to attract inquiries.  

Is this the idea you have as well Jennifer? 

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
Yes, a demo site targeted for our specific audience. Why consider using Moodle, what we can do in Moodle, Moodle success stories (include some of our best courseware?) how to get started etc. Who to contact (your local Moodle Mentor?) With documents and videos and online links in Japanese so it is all very user-friendly.

A YouTube video could be used for mass dissemination when we are ready for that, a video introducing a cool idea with Moodle's main features and benefits. Any YouTubers here?

by Bob GETTINGS -

Hi, 

We were talking about doing something like this in Hokkaido - maybe Moodle Mentors or setting up a team that could do local Moodle training workshops if the local folks provided a place and transportation. 

Uni Moodlers might get support through Kaken as well. 

Bob

In reply to Bob GETTINGS

by Jennifer CLARO -
Local workshops sound like an excellent way to help people learn to use Moodle. But I wonder if people might worry about meeting in public because of the virus alert. What do you think? (People in Hokkaido are cautious now about going out and most public meetings (all?) have been cancelled.)

We could do it online if we knew that the people we need to reach can attend. Send out information ahead of time about date and time of online workshop. Use Big Blue Button again?

How do we want to get started? At our own schools? See how people there respond? Then carry on from there?

by Bob GETTINGS -

Hi!

Actually, we were thinking of the workshop and mentor idea before COVID-19. More as sort of a long term plan.

Bob

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
[日本語テキストは下スクロールしますと見れます Japanese text below.]

Great! Good ideas. I hope others will also join if they are interested in this. 

Title of Project: Moodle Online Courses: start date April 2020

I think we have to aim for April as that is when classes start. Do you agree?

Goal: Introduce Moodle to admin, teachers, professors, any concerned parties who will see Moodle as a viable alternative to face-to-face classes, especially useful at a time of decreased mobility. Start small but overall goal is to get info to all in Japan who need it.

Plan: 1. Gather interested Moodlers to make a task force. Decide what to do and how to do it. Some suggestions have already been made here.

2. Decide who will do what. 

3. Make an online space for those targeted admin/teachers etc. to see Moodle and read about it. Text (and videos, if possible) in Japanese would be very useful. How do we get MoodleCloud space?

4. Get the information out to a few people who can give us feedback. We work more on the whole set up and improve it, then try to promote it to many more people.

Question: Where can we work together on this? In our MAJ space here? Should we create a dedicated space to work on this?

Please comment and add to the plan above, these are just initial ideas. With many people working on this, we can make a great plan!

Thank you to those who are willing to work on this. It seems like now is the time to act.

すごい!良いアイデアだと思います。他の方々もこれに興味があれば参加をよろしくお願いします。

プロジェクトのタイトル:Moodle Online Courses:開始日2020年4月

授業が始まるときなので、4月を目標にしなければならないと思います。どうですか?

目標:管理者、教師、教授、対面クラスの実行可能な代替手段としてMoodleを見る関係者に紹介します。これは、特に授業活動が低下したときに役立ちます。少しずつ拡げていきますが、全体の目標は、日本の、Moodleについての情報を必要としているすべての方々に情報を提供することです。

計画:①興味のあるMoodlersを集めて、チームを作成します。何をすべきか、それをどのように行うかを決定します。ここでいくつかの提案が既に出されています。

②誰が何をするのかを決定します。

③対象となる管理者/教師などのために、Moodleを見ながら、Moodleについて調べられるオンラインスペースを作成します。日本語のテキスト(および可能であればビデオ)は非常に便利だと思います。 MoodleCloudスペースを取得するにはどうすればいいですか?

④フィードバックを提供できる少数の方々に情報を提供します。私たちは体制全体を調整し改善してから、より多くの人々に促進しようと思います。

質問:どこで共同作業できると思いますか?ここのMAJスペースにしますか?専用のスペースを作成する必要があると思いますか?

上記の計画にコメントし、追加してくださればと思います。これはあくまでも基盤となるアイデアです。多くの方々が協力してくだされば、絶対にいい計画が出来上がると思います!

これに協力していただける方々に感謝します。今こそ行動すべき時のようです。

by Adam Jenkins -
I absolutely love the energy this thread has. I want to help you guys turn these dreams into reality. Let's do this!

> Question: Where can we work together on this? In our MAJ space here? Should we create a dedicated space to work on this?

I have made you a space on this site called "Promoting Online Learning". All participants in this thread to date have been added with both the Manager and Teacher roles. Sorry I can't do more at the moment but am working on the same idea from a different angle. Will let you know if that angle turns into something good.

Anyway, you have your space. Let me know if there's anything else I can support you guys with.

Cheers!
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Doug STRABLE -
Thank you very much Adam!

I'll move over the site and post some ideas later.

For everyone's reference, the government currently has a website listing various Edtech services and products to help students and teachers at this time. A good reference to see the piecemeal solutions being promoted. We can show how to put them all together in Moodle.

www.learning-innovation.go.jp
In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
These are great ideas Doug, thanks so much. This one and the Moodle Cloud idea.

I'm moving over to the dedicated space that Adam sent up for us but will continue to post here as well with main ideas and comments.

For those who have joined, could you please help transfer info form here to the new space? You could just make a new post in the new space with your ideas and comments from here.

See you there! smile

by Eric JEGO -
Hi Jennifer, this all sounds very interesting and I'd like to see if I can do something to contribute to the cause. I hope Adam can allow me to enroll too!
In reply to Eric JEGO

by Jennifer CLARO -

Great! Adam, can people self-enroll in the new space? I didn't see a place to add people.

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -

There is a Japanese Moodle website here that seems to have a similar goal to ours, it's a Japanese demo and support site. It started in 2010 and has many recent posts here about the 2020 moot made by Tatsuya Shirai. 

This site may be useful in promoting the ideas we are having here. I wonder if Tatsuya Shirai would like to get involved.

We might even be able to use it? Update it, add to it? 

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Tomoya SAITO -
同様に、情報提供です。
経済産業省のWebサイトでは,コロナウィルス問題への対策として教材、LMS、テレビ会議システムを提供している企業・団体が紹介されています。

https://www.learning-innovation.go.jp/covid_19/

これらのシステムと同様に、Moodleも各学校の遠隔授業に役立つと思います。

This is also informational.
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry's website introduces companies that provide teaching materials, LMS, and video-conferencing for distance learning and self-directed learning.

https://www.learning-innovation.go.jp/covid_19/

Like these systems, the Moodle will be useful for distance learning in schools.
In reply to Tomoya SAITO

by Don HINKELMAN -
残念ながら、Moodleはリストに載っていません。 Moodleが存在するように申請してもらえますか?

Mext

by Tomoya SAITO -
経済産業省のWebサイトでは、企業や団体がコロナウィルス問題への対応として皆さんに提供している製品やサービスについて掲載されます。
掲載を申請する場合、サービスの内容やシステムについての具体的な資料と、団体、責任者、連絡先の情報が必要になります。
日本ムードル協会として掲載を依頼する場合には、「日本ムードル協会では、このような教材やサービスを皆さんに提供しています」という資料になると思います。
例えばAmazonさまやイーラニングさまなど、企業が掲載を依頼する場合には、「Moodleを活用してこのような学習サービスを提供しています」という資料になると思います。

多分、具体的なサービスの内容、対象者、運営の責任者が決まって、詳しい資料も準備しないと、掲載されません。
いま皆さんがディスカッションしている教材やサービスを本当に実現できたら、掲載してもらえると思います。
In reply to Tomoya SAITO

by Jennifer CLARO -
Google Translation: The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry website describes products and services that companies and organizations offer to you in response to the coronavirus problem.
In order to apply for publication, you will need specific materials about the service content and system, as well as information on the organization, responsible person, and contact information.
If you request publication as the Japan Moodle Association, it will be a material that states, "The Japan Moodle Association provides such educational materials and services to everyone."
For example, if a company such as Amazon or E-Learning asks for a publication, it will be a material that "We provide such a learning service using Moodle."
Perhaps, the specific service content, target audience, and the person responsible for operation are decided, and unless detailed materials are prepared, it will not be posted.
If you can really realize the teaching materials and services that you are discussing now, I think they will be posted.
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Rob BRIGHT -
Any chance we could get H5P added to the site too when you have time please?
In reply to Rob BRIGHT

by Adam Jenkins -
Hi Rob,

Your wish is my command...

I have installed H5P.
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Jennifer CLARO -
Thank you so much Adam! There are six of us now, I hope more will continue to join.

Please tell us about your idea! smile
In reply to Adam Jenkins

by Jennifer CLARO -

Great enthusiasm from many of you, awesome!! I will keep posting here for the time being as many people are connecting here. 

How about this plan:

1. We make a Moodle demo site, or modify an existing one (there is a Japanese Moodle.org website here that has many things we would want to include) to showcase what Moodle can do - but maybe keep it simple? We want people to be impressed but not overwhelmed as teachers will be making their own sites. 

We could make a dummy demo (as shareable courseware) where a very basic Moodle site has been set up and teachers could use it as is and build on it.

2. We make an awesome video (in Japanese and English?), post it in YouTube, send an explanatory e-mail with the link to the teachers and admin we know, asking them to send it to teachers/admin they know too. The video goes viral and lots of people go to the demo site for more information.

3. Volunteers at the demo site answer questions in live chat? Like the Help section at the moot? That was really useful. Thanks again to Justin and Martin.

4. Moodle Mentors help people in their area get started, working together online (could use screen sharing) or in face-to-face in workshops. 

5. Classes start in April 2020 as planned, but remotely! The spring semester of 2020 is the beginning of widespread online learning in Japan. Korea and China get online too. 

Is Kakenhi available now? I thought they only give funds in April, after submission of a detailed proposal.

Please comment and post questions too. Maybe now is the time to ask who would like to do what. 

How did the Moot organizing team decide this? You guys organized an international conference in 3 days, how the heck did you do that? How did you get organized? Decide who does what? Should people just volunteer for particular jobs? If so, we should make a list of jobs to get done?

by Jennifer CLARO -
My 4:05 p.m. post in Japanese:

皆さんの素晴らしい熱意、最高です!多くの人々がここで接続しているので、しばらくはここに投稿し続けます。

この計画はどう思いますか:

1. Moodleのデモサイトを作成するか、既存のサイトを改善して(取り入れたいものが多くある日本のMoodle.orgのウェブサイトがあります)、Moodleでできることを紹介します。しかし、それをシンプルにするのはどうですか?私たちは、教師が自分のサイトを作るために興味を持ってくださる方々が感動し、しかし圧倒されないようにすることを望んでいます。

非常に基本的なMoodleサイトがセットアップし、教師がそれをそのまま使用しながら自らのサイトを構築できるダミーデモを(共有可能なコースウェアとして)作成することも一つの案です。

2.素晴らしい動画(日本語と英語?)を作成し、YouTubeに投稿し、そのリンクとこの活動の説明を含む電子メールを、私たちが知っている教師や管理者に送信し、彼らにも知っている教師や管理者に送信するよう頼みます。ビデオは調子よく拡張され、多くの人々がデモサイトにアクセスして詳細を確認します。

3.デモサイトのボランティアは、ライブチャットで質問に答える?Mootでのようにヘルプセクションを参考にしながら?それは本当に役に立つと思います。ジャスティンとマーティンに再び感謝申し上げます。

4. Moodle Mentorsは、オンラインで(画面共有を使用する?)、またはワークショップで直接会って、地域の方々がサイトを作り始めるのをサポートします。

5.授業は計画どおり2020年4月に開始されますが、遠隔です! 2020年の春の学期は、日本での広範なオンライン学習の始まります。韓国と中国も一緒にオンライン授業に変わります。

現在、科研費は利用できますか?4月に、詳細な提案を提出した後、資金を提供すると思っていました。

質問やコメントの投稿をよろしくお願いします。おそらく今は、誰が何をしたいかを尋ねる時です。

Mootの組織チームはこれをどのようにして決定しましたか?皆さんは3日間のうちに国際会談を組織し開催しましたが、一体どのようにしてできましたか?どのように組織化されましたか?どのようにして誰が何をするかを決めましたか?人々は特定の仕事に志願するべきですか?もしそうなら、私たちは仕事のリストを作成する必要がありますか?

by Jennifer CLARO -
To speed up English to Japanese translations, we can use Google Translate. My son Brandon has volunteered to proofread and correct Japanese text we produce. He's 18, just graduated from high school and speaks and writes fluent Japanese. And he has some free time on his hands and is happy to help.

by Matthew COTTER -
Im keen. Just one thing...who are our target classrooms? Mainly university or will be going into high school, JHS or/and elementary too? Having a daughter with at least 2, potentially 4 weeks of no study on her hands due to corona virus seems to show the need for online learning content pre-University. Just ideas floating around my head at the moment
In reply to Matthew COTTER

by Jennifer CLARO -
Hi Matt!

So far it seems that middle schools and high schools (Rob mentioned these specifically) and universities are the target institutions.

We could get a demo site together and then make a promo video to go viral to get everyone on board. We need Japanese support, I hope our Japanese Moodle colleagues think this is a good idea. I am a little worried about their silence.

Hey, would your daughter like to help with editing translations? smile

Jen

by 藤彦 近森 -
Hi all, I am Fujihiko Chikamori, Sales Manager Higher Education, Research and Healthcare, Amazon Web Services Japan.
Regarding Corona Virus (2019-nCoV), AWS is providing remote learning capabilities leveraging credits available to our customers and partners. This credit can be used both our Education customers and implementation partners who have needed the ability to allow their students to continue learning in offsite locations via remote. So you can use free AWS environment with limitation of credit amount for your PoC of moodle or your offsite learning.
In reply to 藤彦 近森

by 藤彦 近森 -
In Japanese
アマゾン ウェブ サービス ジャパン近森と申します。
今般のコロナウィルスの状況を鑑み、AWSは教育現場の皆さんのご支援をするために、遠隔教育を実現するために必要なクラウドリソースをご活用いただけるよう、AWSクレジットをご用意いたしました。こちらのクレジットをご活用いただいて、Moodleによる遠隔教育の実験(PoCの実施)、各校での実装、実際の遠隔授業の実施を、もちろん上限はございますが、実現いただけるのではないかと考えます。
Moodleの設定方法やお使い方にもよりますが、対面教育の自粛期間程度(1か月程度でしょうか?)であればカバーできるのではないかと思います。
こちらのクレジットは、Moodleでの遠隔授業のみならずオンラインでのイベント開催(入学式の配信等)、弊社WEB会議ツールであるChimeのご活用などにもご利用いただけます。
ご要望などございましたらご連絡いただけますでしょうか?
In reply to 藤彦 近森

by Justin HUNT -
Hi Chikamori San,

Poodll can set up a (free) MAJ Moodle image in the AWS marketplace that user's can then use one-click install to get a running Moodle in just a few minutes. Could the AWS credits be used for cost associated with running that?

Justin
https://poodll.com
In reply to Justin HUNT

by Jennifer CLARO -
"Get a running Moodle" means get a functioning Moodle website that a whole school could use, for a whole month, free of charge, with a one-click installation? That would be amazing! (Have I understood this correctly?)

Questions: Would schools be able to adopt that Moodle website and keep it if they want to, at the end of the virus alert? Also, the one-month period is very generous, thank you so much for this great idea! I wonder if the one month is extendable if the virus alert has not ended by Golden Week?

The downloadable with one click site could include a basic Moodle setup, including how-to pages on everything teachers need to know (mostly just copy and paste from existing explanations). Then we will still need mentors/volunteers to help teachers get up and going, and to help with any problems. We will need people who speak and write good Japanese! How many of us are bilingual?

Basically we need a lot of Japanese Moodlers to join. よろしくお願いします。smile

by Rob BRIGHT -

The downloadable package would be a great idea but it would mean a syllabus that confirms to the MEXT syllabus for JHS and HS for domestic schools. For international schools, it would be harder to manage unless each part could be separated up and the school was able to pick and choose what they could show to students.

In reply to Justin HUNT

by 藤彦 近森 -
Justin,
I recommend making the AMI(amazon machine image) Public would be easier to use compare to Market Place. Other customers can use your machine image through Community AMI. We can give AWS credit code to AWS account, one by one.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/sharingamis-intro.html

In Japanese
ハントさん
マーケットプレイスにのせるより、公開AMI(amazon machine image)をお使いになった方が使いやすいのでは、と考えます。作成されたマシンイメージを公開AMIにのせることで、他のユーザーの方々はCommunityAMIから参照可能です。AWSクレジットはリクエストいただいたお客様に個別にクレジットコードをお渡しします。
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ja_jp/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/sharingamis-intro.html

Chikamori
In reply to 藤彦 近森

by Hideto HARASHIMA -

I just got a call from Mr. Tsuyoshi Matsuzaki, the president of the Moodle Premier Partner company "eLearning." His company is willing to offer 30-50 free ready-to-go Moodle instances to secondary schools in Hokkaido. If any teacher wants to start using Moodle, eLeaning can host courses for free, and he/she can maintain the course till the end of July. Yeah! He will contact Bob Gettings soon. And he expects the Japanese Moodle community to support these novice teachers.

In reply to Hideto HARASHIMA

by Doug STRABLE -

I think the offer to host up to 30-50 fully functioning Moodle core sites from Matsuzaki-san of "elearning" is a great idea and much appreciated.  

With the technology side is solved, teachers are probably going to need a sample "template" course to get started quickly. Would any of the courses in the MAJ Courseware Showcase be suitable?    

In reply to Doug STRABLE

by Jennifer CLARO -
This is great news! Now we have two providers. 信じられない!

Perhaps we should make/adapt one template to use for high schools and another for universities? Justin, what kind of a template will users of the Amazon space get?

So, Hokkaido high schools can use eLearning until the end of July, and everyone else can use Amazon for a month, possibly more?

Also, is there anything we should be asking ourselves before getting involved with any providers? Do we need to ask them any questions? I know little about providers in general but I had a very bad experience with one once. We have a responsibility to provide schools with a good experience.

by Bob GETTINGS -

No plans for Hokkaido at this time - so maybe we need to step back a bit and see what's needed. 

Are there high school teachers on the list or has anyone talked to high school teachers yet?

Also, should this discussion be moved to the new course Adam made? I don't have access because I joined in late but if someone could add me it would be great!

In reply to 藤彦 近森

by Jennifer CLARO -
Here is Chikamori-san's translated (Google Translate only) post, which has many interesting points:

My name is Amazon Web Services Japan Chikamori.
In light of the recent coronavirus situation, AWS has provided AWS Credits to help educators in the field, so that they can use the cloud resources needed to achieve distance learning. By using this credit, you can experiment with distance education using Moodle (implementation of PoC), implement at each school, conduct actual distance learning, of course, there is a limit, but I think that it can be realized .
Depending on how Moodle is set up and how you use it, you may be able to cover it if it is about the self-restraint period of face-to-face education (about one month?).
These credits can be used not only for remote classes with Moodle, but also for online events (such as the delivery of entrance ceremonies) and the use of Chime, our web conference tool.
Can you contact me if you have any requests?